Popt has a poptReadConfigFile() which is described as doing the following

 The file specified by fn is opened and parsed as a popt configuration file. This allows programs to use program-specific configuration files.

What’s unclear is whether it can only be used to enable aliases, or if it can also be used as a general-purpose configuration file to replace the command-line interface, and if so, what format it should be in.

As no documentation I could find explains it one way or the other, I resorted to reading the code.

The short answer is no. Popt (1.16) cannot read command line parameters from an rc configuration file.

Continue reading

A terminal showing khal in action, with two month of daily calendars, and two days of daily agendas

The following was initially posted on Pump.io, before I realised that this might benefit from a more preservable/visible format.

Frustrated with only interacting with my ownCloud calendar through the native web interface, I finally decided to look for a replacement application that I could run locally. Khal ended up being it, with vdirsyncer for two-way CalDAV sync with ownCloud.

 

Coupled with watdo, by the same author as vdirsyncer, for todo.txt-like management of CalDAV tasks (VTODO), I can now do all my schedule and tasks management from the comfort of my own terminal, even without any connectivity!

Continue reading

Some publishers, particularly the IEEE, require that the columns on the last page of an article are balanced, so it looks pretty. The problem is that the break is usually needed in the middle of the bibliography, for which less layout-control is available. Fortunately, there are some specific specific solutions for various cases, and one which works for most: flushend.

Continue reading

After a lot of humming, I decided that it wasn’t very practical to use a different platform for every blog I was running on the same machine. Some more puffing led me to conclude that WordPress was the best candidate to replace the likes of SimplePHPBlog and Blogsum. I still have an odd Nanoblogger to migrate, but it is easily maintained and keeps to itself for the moment.

In the process, I had to find ways to import data from the old platforms, and massage it into something that WordPress can work with.

Continue reading

A few of the sites that I maintain are static, and I dare think that thay are hand-crafted. At the very least, they took that amount of time to do. As static, all-public sites, I try to have them as devoid of dependencies as possible, and this involves Javascript.

Now, I recently decided to give them all a mobile support, which would display a lighter interface with less elements when the device width is small enough. This usually involves taking whatever sidebar was around, and hiding it by default.

The problem was how to make it come back, and for a long time (well, not so long, but it felt like it), I had to have a mini function registered to the onclick event of the menu header. It simply made the rest appear or disappear by changing the CSS class of the menu container (rather than the visibility of the kids directly, to avoid problem when rotating the device. Fortunately, using the :target CSS selector, it is possible to dispose of this trick, and make an (almost) perfect CSS folding menu.

Continue reading